Pumpkin Spice Cookies with a Creamy Brown Butter Icing
A classic American recipe by the food blogger Laurel Evans as featured by Fine Dining Lovers.
Time Taken: 1 hour
For the Pumpkin Spice Cookies
320 g all-purpose flour
4g baking powder
4.5g baking soda
1g ground nutmeg
1g ground cloves
2.5g ground salt
110g softened butter
300 g sugar
350g pumpkin puree
For the Brown Butter icing
115g unsalted butter
240g sifted icing sugar
10ml pure vanilla extract
30 to 60 ml of milk
1. Preheat oven to 175°C.
2. Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, ground cloves, and salt; set aside.
3. In a medium bowl, cream together the butter and sugar.
4. Add pumpkin, egg, and vanilla, and beat until creamy.
5. Mix in dry ingredients.
6. Drop on cookie sheet and flatten slightly.
7. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes in the preheated oven.
8. Cool cookies, then frost.
9. Melt butter in a saucepan over medium-high heat until golden brown in color, about 10 minutes.
10. Pour butter into a bowl, and add sugar, vanilla, and 15 ml milk; stir until smooth.
Tip: If the icing is too thick, add another tablespoon milk, a little at a time, until consistency is spreadable.
Let cool for 5 minutes and use immediately.