HOLISTIC HEALTH - May 2018
Top 10 Strategies to Optimal Well Being
by Nancy Russell, M.D.
1. Spring cleaning of your closet, junk drawer or garage can be uplifting for your mind and soul. Donation of items you can live without is an advantage for another family. Clearing the space where you live can also bring clarity to your mind and spirit.
2. Planting flowers or plants with loved ones can start a spring tradition of bringing bright colors and healthy herbs and vegetables to your table. Plant alone and be one with nature or plant with friends or family members to make memories.
3. Eat plenty of fresh, whole foods that are locally grown and/or organic. Green leafy vegetables bring you plenty of vitamins and other nutrients and organic keeps you free of pesticides, insecticides and other bad chemicals. Eating grass fed beef, organic poultry and wild caught fish reduces the intake of hormone, antibiotic and chemical residues found in regular meats and fish. Farm fresh, cage free chicken eggs also are healthier for you. Choose two colors of produce and a protein at each meal. Then fill in with starch and healthy fat. Half your plate should be produce.
4. Drink plenty of filtered or purified water and herbal teas and avoid sugary and diet drinks. Drinks with artificial sweeteners can increase your waist size and actually encourage weight gain. Alcohol can raise blood sugar, but red wine occasionally does have some health benefits.
5. Get moving and enjoy the outdoors. Sunshine offers you vitamin D, and exercise helps with metabolism, better sleep and mood. Studies have shown that walking 15 minutes twice a day gives the same health benefits as 30 minutes once a day. Exercise also improves concentration, memory, boosts creativity, muscle building, joint flexibility, energy, heart health, lowers cholesterol, reduces body fat, increases life span, improves good gut flora and can even reverse hardening of the arteries.
6. Challenge your mind by reading on a subject that interests you or take a class in dancing, yoga or pilates. Learn a foreign language and explore another culture.
7. Donate of your time and talents to your favorite religious organization or charity.
8. Connect with God or higher power or the universe regularly. Have down time to relax and reflect on your day. Have still time to clear your mind and recharge your batteries. This can help with anxiety, motivation and sleep.
9. Have regular sleep habits. Have a good bedtime routine by getting away from electronics and turn the lights down an hour prior to sleep. A dark, quiet room can help you get into a deeper sleep without electronics close to you. Have a regular bedtime and wake up time within an hour each day. Most people need 7 to 9 hours of sleep to have optimal energy and mental clarity.
10. Enrich your personal and business relationships with honesty, integrity and humor. Take time to connect and talk and laugh with others.
Nancy Russell, M.D. has been a holistic Internal Medicine physician in the Kansas City northland for over 30 years at 5140 N. Antioch Road in Kansas City, MO.
Her phone number is 816-453-5545 and website is www.nancyrussellmd.com where you can get more information. Dr. Russell is board certified in holistic medicine and is a member of the American Holistic Medical Association and a prior board member.